Liposuction otherwise referred to as lipo refers to the removal of excess fat from the body by suction with the help of certain advanced and special surgical pieces of equipment. The main aim of liposuction is to remove the excess fat in the body, thus, improving the appearance of the body and also ensuring smoother body shape. According to reports, it has become one of the most prominent ways people improve their body. It is commonly used to remove excess fat in these body parts; buttocks, breasts, calves, abdomen, neck, chin, hips, thighs, knees, and even in the ankle areas.
Most people have referred to it as a cosmetic surgical procedure that basically aims to remove excess fat that exercise and dieting cannot get rid of. Dermatologic or plastic surgeons are in charge of this procedure and seek to improve the shape of the body. Recently, it has been revealed that liposuction can be carried out with other plastic surgeries like; breast reduction, facelifts, and tummy tucks.
While many people have compared this procedure to weight loss, it is important that they remember that liposuction is completely different from weight loss. It is a cosmetic procedure that seeks to remove excess fat. Majority of the people undergoing liposuction have been found to have a stable body weight. While it is capable of removing excess fat, it is important that you remember that it does not remove stretch marks, cellulitis, and dimples. It is specifically for those seeking to change the shape of their body.
The Types Of Liposuction
Unknown to most people, there are various types of liposuction procedures they can choose from. We’ll take a look at them. They are;
Tumescent Liposuction Procedure
Otherwise referred to as fluid injection, this procedure happens to be the most common type. Basically, it has to do with injecting a considerable amount of medicated fluid or solution into the areas the excess fat is to be removed. Often times, the solution or fluid could be up to three times the size of fat that is supposed to be removed. This medicated fluid happens to be a mixture of local anesthetic which is otherwise called “lidocaine”. The function of this local anesthetic is to help contract the blood vessels the epinephrine and an IV (Intravenous) solution. It also helps to make the area where the fat resides to feel numb during the procedure as well as after it is done.
The effectiveness of this medication is why it could often time be the only anesthesia that is given during the entire process. The epinephrine added to the fluid basically helps to reduce the loss of blood. It also prevents swelling and bruising. On the other hand, the intravenous solution added to the fluid helps the removal of the fat. According to reports, this procedure happens to take a longer time than the others. Aside from the fact that this procedure takes a long time, those undergoing this procedure do not get to feel anything before and after it is completed.
The Ultrasound-Assisted Liposuction
Otherwise referred to as UAL, this procedure basically has to do with the use of vibrations that are ultrasonic in nature to turn excess fat cells in liquid. Once the fat has been turned liquid, a vacuum is used to drag it out.
- Externally; that is it could be done above the skin surface with the help of a special emitter.
- Internally; this is done below the surface of the skin and it is done by a slightly heated cannula.
The nature of this procedure is why it is used commonly to remove excess fat from certain dense and fiber-filled areas of the body like the male breast tissue and the upper back. Often times in follow-up techniques, this procedure is used alongside the tumescent procedure. They could also be used together to ensure that the operation is smoother and precise. Although this procedure takes time because of its nature, the tumescent procedure takes a longer time.
The Super-wet Technique
This procedure happens to be similar to the tumescent procedure, the only difference being that the number of fluids or medicated solution used for the tumescent procedure is larger when compared to that which is used for this procedure. For this procedure, the excess fat to be removed will determine the amount of fluid that is applied.
Like the tumescent procedure, the super-wet technique takes time but those undergoing would be made to take sedation, that is, drugs that would make them drowsy or those that would help them fall asleep without having to experience pain during and after the operation.
Referred to as LAL, this liposuction procedure basically involves the use of lasers to liquefy excess fat cells. Once these excess fat cells have been liquified, they are either allowed to drain out via small tubes or vacuums are used to remove them. The nature of cannula or tube used for this procedure is quite different from that used for traditional liposuction this is why most dermatologic surgeons prefer this procedure when dealing with certain confined parts of the body. These confined parts could include; jaws, chins, and the face.
Most people have referred to this procedure as the best and this is because the energy that is derived from the laser used to liquefy excess fat is capable of stimulating collagen production. The production of collagen would help them prevent body or skin sag after the procedure is completed. This is because collagen is the fiber that helps keep skin structure together. While other procedures mentioned above could lead to body sag after a couple of years or months after undergoing the procedure, LAL with the production of collagen would help maintain the structure of the skin.
How Liposuction Procedure Is Done
As mentioned above, liposuction is carried out by a dermatologist or plastic surgeon. This procedure can be carried out with certain fluids depending on the type of procedure that is selected. The surgeon in charge is tasked with the responsibility of recommending the type of anesthesia that is to be given the patient.
The procedure is carried out in the following ways;
- The basic or common material used for this procedure is the liposuction machine. Aside from this machine, cannulas or small tubes are used.
- The team in charge would have to prepare the body part or skin that fat is to be removed from. Once the body part has been prepared, the patient gets to receive general or local anesthesia to prevent the pain of any sort before, during, and after the procedure has been carried out.
- A suction tube that has a sharp end has to be inserted via a small skin incision. Once it is inserted, it gets to the fat pockets and gradually sweeps through the body area where excess fat is to be removed. The fact that has been dislodged is dragged away with the help of a vacuum pump or even a large syringe.
- To get the best contour, the surgeon could decide to use different directions. Also, skin punches may be needed when it comes to large areas of the body. Once the fat has been removed, drainage tubes may be inserted into the areas to help remove blood and fluid that would gather during the very first days after the surgery is completed.
- Patients who have lost enough blood and fluid during the process would be advised to get a fluid replacement or even blood transfusion. While fluid replacement is common, the cases where blood transfusion is advised are rare. To ensure that the procedure is managed, the surgeon would have to place a compression garment on the patient once the procedure is over. It is of utmost importance that patients wear this garment as instructed by the surgeon.
The advancement of technology we are currently experiencing has made it possible for those who have undergone this surgery to get back to work in a few days time. At times, surgeons may recommend certain pain medications to help the patient deal with any soreness that they may feel as time goes on. The compression garment worn would help to prevent swelling. After this procedure, patients are given certain care tips that would help rid them of any scar.
Do I Need a Liposuction?
Each year, thousands of men and women undergo this surgery in order to achieve personal body goals. While most would love to look better when they wear swimsuits, others want to feel comfortable when they put on tight dresses. There are several reasons why most people would love to undergo this surgery, the question most people have had to deal with is if they need to undergo this surgery.
If you find yourself in the following conditions, then liposuction could be an option you could think through. The conditions are;
- You happen to have excess fat deposits on certain parts of your body like; thighs, neck, hips, belly, buttocks, or chest. If after trying a couple of exercise and dieting routines and nothing works out, then liposuction could be considered as an option. This is because liposuction removes unwanted and excess body fat that dieting and exercise could not get rid of. This procedure will definitely give your body that natural and amazing shape.
- You feel that certain body parts are out of proportion with your entire shape. If this is the case, the removal of excess fat on these areas of the body will definitely bring better balance.
- You are on the verge of getting your desired body weight and shape. This procedure would help reduce excess fat deposits in certain areas. According to reports, most patients that have undergone this procedure have expressed satisfaction with their general body weight right after the surgery.
- You happen to have impressive skin elasticity. If you are one of those privileged people that do not have to worry about sagging of any part of the body, liposuction can help to keep your body in perfect shape.
While liposuction can help improve your body shape and weight, it is important that you have realistic expectations when you decide to undergo this operation. To explain better, if you happen to have sagging or loose skin, liposuction would not be the perfect ideas as it is specifically designed to remove excess fat from the body. This would mean that the appearance of the loose skin may not improve even after the procedure. If you happen to have loose skin, body lift and other procedures like tummy tuck could just be the right option for you.
If your reason for considering liposuction is simply to lose weight, then it is important that you know that it is not a procedure designed to help you lose body weight. While it may help improve your general body shape as well as make you look thinner, you could decide to exercise after the procedure to ensure that you stay fit.
Can Liposuction Results Be Permanent?
This is one of the most asked questions. Most people contemplating undergoing this procedure have asked this question and this is because they all want the results of this procedure to be permanent. Basically, liposuction has to do with the removal of excess body fat cells, meaning that they will not grow back in any way. It is advised that you try as much as possible to maintain a stable weight right after this procedure, this is so that you do not gain weight as your appearance would definitely change when other locations or parts of the body begin to store fat.
It is advised that you only undergo this procedure with an experienced and skilled surgeon. This is to ensure that it is done properly and that it remains permanent.
The result of liposuction can be permanent if you adhere to the body care routine recommended by the surgeon.
The Risks Involved In Liposuction
- Contour irregularities
- Infections. Although this is rare, it could still occur
- Heart or kidney problems.
- Allergic reaction
- Pulmonary embolism
- Skin burns
- Puncture of internal organs
- Thrombophlebitis etc.