Otherwise referred to a nose job, rhinoplasty is a surgical procedure designed with the main aim of changing the shape of your nose by having to modify the cartilage or bone. This procedure is one of the many plastic surgery procedures that people have had to undergo. According to several reports, this procedure was developed to completely improve the shape and structure of the nose and also to improve breathing.
Biologically, the upper part or portion of the structure of the nose is called “bone” while the lower part or portion is referred to as “cartilage”. The nose job procedure is capable of changing the skin, bone, and cartilage or even the three parts of the nose. It is advised that before you decide to opt for this procedure, you discuss carefully with the doctor or surgeon to get an idea of what to expect when you decide to undergo this procedure.
Unknown to most people, this procedure can be traced back to the 3000 BCE. Often times this procedure is carried out for those that have breathing issues and also most people decide to undergo this procedure simply because they do not like the shape of their nose. Those thinking of undergoing this procedure are advised to have a personal discussion with their surgeon. During this discussion, it is advised that you tell him/her your fears as well as aspirations. Also, it is important that you remember that there is no such thing as a perfect nose.
The Various Rhinoplasty Procedures You Can Choose From
This is currently one of the most common types of rhinoplasty that you can choose. The popularity of this type of nose job procedure has gotten over the last couple of years is as a result of the fact that there are no scars. This is because an Incision is made inside the nose of the patient. With incision made into the nose, the cartilage and bone portions of the nose become accessible, thus, enabling the surgeon to perform the necessary changes that need to be made.
There are certain advantages of this procedure and these advantages are;
- Patients get to experience a reduced irritation of the nasal tissue. This is often times due to the lack of the general incision method that most of the other body enhancement and improvement procedures make use of.
- It offers a reduced nasal tip support reduction. This basically means that it would ensure that the support of the nasal tip is not reduced as it is when other procedures are chosen.
- It takes only a couple of hours before the entire process is completed.
- It offers clients faster recovery.
This has been referred to as the type of rhinoplasty that has been designed for those that need more extensive work carried out on their nose. That is, those that may need their bone, cartilage, and nose skin changed. This procedure would require the surgeon to make Incisions on the skin that is beneath your nostrils which is otherwise called “columella”. Once these Incisions are made to the columella, the next step the surgeon would have to take would be to lift the skin and in the process revealing the interiors of the nasal cavity. When this is done, it gives the surgeon full access to carry out the necessary reshaping on your nose.
Occasionally, when patients have had to carry out revision surgeries, open rhinoplasty is recommended. Also, it has been revealed that most surgeons would decide to pick the open rhinoplasty procedure as the main procedure they offer. Although this depends on the skill and experience of the surgeon in question. According to several reports, this type of procedure is best for individuals that have these issues;
- Those who are not satisfied with the appearance of their nose after they have undergone nasal surgery prior to the time.
- Those who have had to deal with collapsed calves from hump removal that has been carried out years or months back
- Those that have been deformed in the nose. Also, those have genetic deformities could also try out this procedure.
Once the surgeon performs this procedure, the columella would have to be sutured and thereafter, the nose would have to be taped to ensure that it is stable. Once it has been taped, a nasal splint designed specifically for the nose would have to be placed on the treated part. The main function of the splint is to help protect the nose from certain delicate objects and tissues that may disrupt the healing process. Approximately one week after this procedure has been completed, the splint would have to be removed as its job is complete.
The Filler Rhinoplasty
This is one of the least common types of rhinoplasty procedures available. This is mostly because it happens to be non-surgical and can be carried out by cosmetic surgeons, physician assistants, plastic surgeons, and dermatologists. Being non-surgical, no Incision would have to be made, rather, an injectable filler would be used to correct certain imperfections of the nose. This procedure or type has been designed specifically for those that need minimal changes done to their nose. One of the main reasons why most people have refused to try out this option is simply because the results are not permanent. Also, patients get to experience scars that often times last for a long period of time.
Once these injections are administered, a couple of months or years after, the fillers begin to eventually absorb into the skin, thus, erasing any changes that may have been made at the same time meaning that the patient would have to undergo an additional procedure.
As the name implies, this is a surgery that is carried out after a primary one has been undergone by the patient. Most of the times, patients would have to ask for this procedure if they are not happy or satisfied with the previous one that was carried out. In most cases, after a rhinoplasty procedure has been carried out, patients tend to experience breathing problems. This is where this procedure comes into play. This procedure is done to either touch-up or reshapes the nose a little bit to give a better shape and structure. When it comes to this procedure, it is important that you ask the surgeon in charge if he/she offers revision rhinoplasty. If they do not, you may be referred to another surgeon.
Types Of Rhinoplasty
While we have discussed the procedures, we will take a look at some of the main types and what they tend to correct. They include but are definitely not limited to these:
- Reduction Rhinoplasty; this is a type of rhinoplasty that is done to restructure and correct the form of the nose, thus, making it more functional and aesthetically appealing to the eyes. Most of the patients who decide to choose this type of rhinoplasty want to either correct genetic deformities, injuries as well as other problems that have to do with childbirth.
- Post-traumatic rhinoplasty; this is the type of rhinoplasty that patients would choose to address some of the injuries that often times lead to broken bones, damaged airways, loss of cartilage, and deformation of any sort.
- Augmentation rhinoplasty; this is done to increase or in rare cases decrease the size of certain parts of the nose. When completed, this type of rhinoplasty is capable of adding height to the nose at the same time altering the shape of the nasal tip to further increase the projection of the nose.
- Reconstructive rhinoplasty; often times when patients undergo surgery to either treat cancer or other deformities, the nose could be left disfigured. This type of rhinoplasty would seek to reconstruct the nose to ensure that it functions at an optimal level.
What Needs To Be Done Before Rhinoplasty Procedure Is Carried Out
Before you undergo this procedure, there are certain things that have to be done. Most importantly, you would have to discuss certain important facts that will help the surgeon find out if it would work for you. During this meeting, you will have to discuss the following;
- Your medical history; often times, the first question patients would be asked by surgeons is their aim or goal for deciding to undergo this procedure. Also, questions about the medical history of the patient would be asked. After careful evaluation, if the surgeon discovers that you have certain disorders like bleeding, then he/she would try to talk you out of it as it is not advisable for those with a bleeding disorder to undergo this procedure.
- A physical examination would be carried out; to ascertain the level of your health, a physical examination would be conducted. This examination includes but is definitely not limited to; lab tests, blood tests etc. The facial features of your nose externally and internally would also be examined carefully.
The main reason for this physical examination is to help the surgeon determine the changes that have to be made to your nose. Also, it would help find out the impact of the procedure on your breathing. This is because most people that have undergone this procedure have experienced breathing issues which have led to serious or severe health problems.
- Photographs; an experienced photographer would have to take pictures of the nose from different angles. Often times, the surgeon would have to make use of certain computer software to manipulate the photographs. All this is done to show you what you should expect after a procedure has been carried out.
- Your expectations would have to be discussed; when it comes to body enhancement and improvement procedures, most people expect miracles. This is why your surgeon would have to discuss them with you. Your expectations should be realistic and feasible. In the process, the surgeon would discuss what rhinoplasty can and can’t do for you. This is why it is advised that you open up to your surgeon before you undergo this procedure.
What You Should Expect From Rhinoplasty
Like most of the other body enhancement and improvement procedures, patients would have to take general or local anesthesia. If you have allergies, it is important that discuss them with your doctor. There are two types of anesthesia you can receive. They are;
- General anesthesia; patients would have to receive this drug by inhaling through a small tube or cannula. This anesthesia causes patients to be unconscious during the surgery, thus, ensuring that they do not feel pain throughout the entire process.
- Local anesthesia; this type of anesthesia is mostly used for outpatient setting. It is quite limited to certain areas of the body. This medication is inserted into the nasal tissue.
Depending on the type of procedure that is chosen or recommended for you, this procedure may be carried out inside your nose or even through an external cut right at the base of your nose.
Once the surgery has been completed, it is advised that patients get enough rest. The most common form of rest would be to lay on your bed with your head raised higher above the chest. As mentioned earlier, splints would have to be added to your nose to prevent swelling and to keep the nose in shape. This splint and occasional swelling may make the nose congested. Aside from the non-surgical filler procedure, the results of the other procedures are permanent as long as patients adhere to the care routines that has been suggested by surgeons.
To enable you to recover properly, it is advised that you stay at home for at least one week. Also, this will ensure that the splint is removed before you get back to work.
Risks Involved In Rhinoplasty
Like every medical surgery that is carried out, rhinoplasty has its own risks. Although the risks involved are not as complicated and severe as those that are associated with most of the other procedures. The risks associated with this procedure include;
- Numbness of the nose
- Breathing difficulties. Minor difficulties could be experienced at certain times