Tummy tuck which is otherwise called “abdominoplasty” refers to a cosmetic surgical procedure that is done to tighten the muscle as well as remove loose skin and excess fat from the abdomen to ensure that it appears toned and flat. It is a procedure that is undergone to ensure that the abdomen is firm and thinner. It involves the process of removing excess fat and skin from the lower and middle abdomen. So it gets tight the fascia and muscle of the abdominal wall. Usually, this procedure is one that is considered by those with sagging or loose tissue. For example, after pregnancy and any major weight loss. If you are seeking to regain your body weight back, you could decide to try out this procedure.
How Tummy Tuck works
The tummy tuck is carried out in such a way that the surgeon makes use of certain special tools. They are capable of removing loose skin, eliminate stubborn residual body fats, as well as tighten abdominal muscles. This treatment it is tailored to meet the individual needs of each patient. This procedure is ideal for patients that have excess fat on the lower parts of their abdomen. Unlike most of the other procedures that people undergo to keep their body in shape, the tummy tuck is one that produces lesser scars as well as offering shorter recovery time. When undergoing this procedure, there are certain parts of the body that are given consideration and they include:
- Skin: wrinkled or loose skin which could be as a result of aging, pregnancy and weight loss is addressed by this procedure.
- Fatty tissue: often times fat deposits in the body can be caused by childbearing, aging, genetics, and hormones.
- Abdominal muscles: most of the patients suffering from abdominal muscle separation can also consider tummy tuck as an option as it is capable of helping out.
The Various Types Of Tummy Tuck Procedures You Can Choose From
As mentioned earlier, the surgeon would have to determine which type of procedure is capable of helping the patient reach his/her desired body goal. The various types of tummy tuck procedure you can choose from include but are definitely not limited to these;
Full Tummy Tuck Procedure
This procedure is often times referred to as “lipoabdominoplasty” and this is when it happens to be combined with liposuction. It happens to be the most common and frequently chosen procedure. According to several reports, it is referred to as the gold standard of all the procedures that have to do with body contouring. Those with stretched muscle, loose skin, or even excessive abdominal fat would find this procedure to be the best option for them. This could involve a full shave off about two to four inch of the waistline of the patient. To help remove excess fat, an incision that spans between the bones of the hip would have to be made. The work of the surgeon here would be to remove all excess fat from the abdomen and often times would have to perform liposuction on the lower abdomen.
Once this is completed, the abdominal muscles become repaired and strengthened. As mentioned above, this type of procedure comes with little scars, so the scar patients may have right after undergoing this procedure can be easily hidden in a bikini.
The Mini Tummy Tuck Procedure
Only patients or individuals with good muscle tone and upper abdominal skin qualify best for this procedure. With these patients having good upper abdominal skin, the problem would definitely be limited to their lower abdomen and at the same time may include excessive fat and loose amount of skin that have centralized right below the belly button.
To perform this procedure, a smaller incision of about four to eight inch would have to be opened along the bikini line. A considerable amount of excess skin would have to be removed through the incision inserted. Once this is done, the surgeon in question may decide to lay emphasis on smaller pockets of fat through the help of liposuction. In only a few cases, the muscles on the lower abdomen may become tightened right after the procedure. According to reports, only a few of the patient seeking to undergo this procedure have found out this it is the best or ideal choice for them.
Under this type of tummy tuck, there is another variation which is called the limited tummy tuck. While this variation is slightly similar to the mini tummy tuck, the main difference is that it happens to involve a longer incision. Majority of those who qualify for this procedure are those that have an impressive upper abdomen but have had to deal with having loose skin on their lower abdomen.
Extended Tummy Tuck Procedure
Extended procedure has been recommended for patients or individuals that have excessive fat throughout their abdomen and trunk. Particularly, this procedure seeks to pay closer attention to those that have had to deal with trouble spots in the lower chest, upper abdomen, and back. To carry out this operation, the surgeon would have to carry out a horizontal incision in such a manner or way that it becomes incredibly similar to your regular tummy tuck. To carry out a more extensive tummy tuck procedure, a vertical midline incision would have to be done.
Reports have revealed that this procedure would give those with loose skin a dramatic before and after the procedure unlike most of the other types.
Reverse Tummy Tuck Procedure
This procedure has been designed specifically to target the upper abdomen. This is why those with excess loose skin on the upper abdomen would find this procedure ideal for them. To carry out this procedure, the surgeon would have to make an incision on the bra line with the aim of removing excess fat and skin found in the upper torso. Occasionally, this type of procedure is performed alongside breasts lift operation.
Signs That Shows That You May Consider Tummy Tuck
With these body improvements and enhancement procedures gaining enough reputation in the media these days, most people are left in a dilemma. They do not know if they need to undergo any of these procedures. While we cannot state categorically if you need it, as the choice should be yours, there are certain signs you have to look out for. Once you see these signs, you could contemplate Choosing this procedure. These signs include but are definitely not limited to these;
- Excess fat and skin laxity: those with certain body parts that have lost elasticity could consider a tummy tuck. While most people may decide to opt for liposuction, you will find it surprising to know that liposuction cannot fix it as it is not capable of dealing with an elasticity of the skin. While most people will claim that pregnancy is the cause of skin laxity, it is surprising to know that pregnancy is just one of the causes. Often times, it tends to happen to people that have lost weight either through gastric bypass or dieting. It is important that you remember that tummy tuck has not been designed specifically for women alone. Men could also decide to undergo this procedure.
- If you have loose abdominal muscle: in most cases, the lower and upper abdominal muscles of most people have become resistant to exercise. No longer capable of offering the support they need. In situations like this, a tummy tuck could just be the ideal option. Hiring the service of a skilled and experienced surgeon would mean that they will be able to remove the fat layer from the muscle, then pull them back at midline. In the process of doing so, they are able to create tight and firmer muscles accompanied by a flatter stomach.
- Stretch marks: it is important that you remember that currently there is no procedure that is capable of removing stretch marks completely. Certain advanced technologies have been developed to fade the color of stretch marks. You will find it interesting to know that when you have fat removal, most of the stretch marks in that area will also be removed. If after the procedure there are still stretch marks, there’s every possibility that they would be located on your lower abdomen, thus, making them less visible than they were prior to that time.
Currently, there is no procedure that is capable of removing stretch marks completely
- Lack of body confidence: according to reports, most of those patients that have undergone this procedure simply do not feel confident about the way their body is structured. Unknown to most people, the negative effect of decreased or low body confidence is large. It could affect their jobs, personal life, sex life as well as how they interact with others. It is important that as a human, you are able to feel confident about your body. If you are feeling less confident about your body, a tummy tuck could just be the right option for you. This procedure will ensure that your body is shaped well and that you are able to feel confident.
- You still wear maternity clothes even after giving births for a couple of months? If you’ve given birth lets say for a couple of months and you still cannot get back your pre-baby body even after trying out different exercise routines, then a tummy tuck could just be the ideal option for you. Those who have probably slimmed down after childbirth but still have limited clothing options could try out a tummy tuck. It will help keep them in perfect shape at the same time offering them the opportunity to choose a wide variety of clothes.
Medical Requirements To Be Qualified For Tummy Tuck
When it comes to a tummy tuck, there are certain requirements that must be met by the patient before deciding to undergo this procedure. These requirements include:
- Most importantly, the patient needs to be in good health
- The patient or individual to undergo this procedure must have excess weight in the midsection of the body
- The skin of the individual or patient must be loose or droopy around the lower and upper abdomen
- The patient or individual is advised to have healthy and realistic expectations of the procedure. They can discuss these expectations with the surgeon right before the procedure is carried out
- The patient or individual should be ready to maintain the result of the procedure with regular exercise and a stable diet.
On the other hand, those contemplating this procedure should not be:
- Womens who have plans to get pregnant immediately after the procedure
- People who ordinarily want to lose a significant amount of weight
- Those who currently have serious or severe medical conditions that undergoing this procedure may compromise
- People that have been pressured into undergoing this procedure by someone.
How Long Does It Take To Recover from Tummy Tuck?
It depends on the surgical technique that is used, the area that this procedure treated and more factors. It could take about one to four weeks for patients to recover after undergoing this procedure. Depending on the condition of the patient, it could be advised that he/she takes time off work during most part of the recovery time.
To ensure that this procedure works fine, it is advised that patients do not a heavy lift. Also, right after the procedure, they may begin to feel some sort of discomfort or bruising. It is important that they do not panic as it would disappear as time goes on. A compression garment worn around the treated area could be of great help as it is capable of minimizing bruising and swelling. It also helps the skin in the area where the procedure was carried out to conform to the new shape.
Tummy Tuck Risks Involved
- Fluid accumulation
- Skin loss which is often times rare
- Poor wound healing
- Changes in skin sensation and often times numbness
- Recurrent loosed skin
- Persistent pain
- Visible Scars
- Discoloration of skin
- Nerve damage
- Suture rupture
- Major wound separation
- Tissue located in the skin may die immediately after the procedure etc.